Minutes/2020-08-07

From Usenet Big-8 Management Board

Present: TM, RL, JE

STUMP

RL reported that our GitHub account has been verified.

RL reported that Igor Chudov hasn't said whether there's an archive of previous versions or a source code repository, but said that he is happy for us to take over maintenance of the project and to migrate it to GitHub, provided he is listed as the author given access.

TM has imported the code for STUMP 2.4 and 2.5 and WebSTUMP 2.0 into GitHub repositories (STUMP and WebSTUMP) and posted (and solved) some issues. RL to update the code to get it working with modern versions of Perl. TM and JE to import and convert the documentation from the STUMP website.

TM has discovered that STUMP and WebSTUMP are listed as official GNU packages, though no mention of this is made in the STUMP and WebSTUMP source and documentation, and the packages look nothing like GNU packages. If STUMP and WebSTUMP really are GNU packages, then our takeover will probably require the blessing of GNU and this will affect our development plans (where to host the code, how to format the code and documentation, etc.). Alternatively, we could fork the project. TM to write to GNU to get their side of the story.

JE reported that Kathy Morgan has confirmed that she's the moderator of both news.newusers.questions and news.announce.newusers but no longer has access to Usenet, so we can decide what to do about these groups.

Misc

JE has been in touch with David Lawrence, author of Managing Usenet. He was a pre-Board member and moderator of news.announce.newgroups.

Admin

TM suggested posting an official announcement to news.announce.newgroups about the Board's new website and the availability of our meeting minutes. TM to prepare and circulate a draft for adoption by the rest the Board.

Wiki

TM reported no progress yet on the survey of Board policies.

JE reported that he is working on a netiquette guide (in short and expanded versions).