Procedure to remove newsgroups
Jim Riley has done many studies showing that a very large number of newsgroups are abandoned. Removing groups through the rmgroup control message has not been done for many years. There are serious doubts about how much cooperation the B8MB finds from news administrators when such rmgroup control messages are sent. Nevertheless, the Big-8 Management Board believes that it is in the interests of the Big 8 to remove unused and abandoned groups from the canonical list.
We are looking for volunteers to serve on the Dead Groups Task Force.
Outline of Procedure
2. The Board decides whether to publish the Group Removal RFD.
3. Discussion of the RFD takes place in news.groups.proposals.
4. The RFD is revised as needed.
5. When the proponent and the Board agree that no further revisions or research are required, the Board schedules a vote on the RFD.
6. If the proposal to remove the group is endorsed by the Board, the Technical Team implements the decision.
Special Case: Removing Groups of Groups
2. A message is posted to each target group which points to the message ID of the RFD and announces that all development of the RFD will take place through discussion in news.groups.proposals and posts in n.a.n.; such notices should have followup set to news.groups.proposals, although those who wish may crosspost to the groups slated to be removed.