How to volunteer or donate
If you'ld like to volunteer to help run the Big-8, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let us know your background, skills, availability, and areas of interest so we can match tasks with the right people.
Some of the areas in which we are asking for volunteer help are the following:
- Dead Groups Task Force: identify groups that can and should be removed from the canonical list.
- Group Mentors: help proponents develop good proposals.
- News.answers Liaison: facilitate communication between news.answers and the B8MB.
- News Service Providers Committee: cultivate good working relationships with NSPs and ISPs.
- Usenet Volunteer Moderators (UVM): facilitate communication with and provide support for Big-8 newsgroup moderators.
- Usenet Volunteer Polltakers (UVP): develop polls to help answer various questions.
Volunteering For The Board
Before joining the Board, we encourage you to volunteer for one or more of the subcommittees (listed above).
If you are interested in joining the Board, we would like to hear from you at email@example.com.
Various suggestions have been made about what could be done to improve the big-8 system. There are included here for lack of a better place to put them. If you'd like to tackle some of these, it would be much appreciated:
- Ask Google to distinguish more clearly between Google Groups and Usenet groups. In particular, ask Google to give clear and accurate directions about how to create a big-8 newsgroup.
- Contact sites where old FAQs need to be updated. Some partial URLs:
http://www.savetz.com/yic/YIC05FI_26.html http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/crea...sgroups/part1/ http://usenetnews.us/ http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/ncreate.html http://www.visi.com/~barr/alt-creation-guide.html http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/ncreate.html http://www.nylon.net/alt/newgroup.htm http://tgos.org/newbie/newgroup.html http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir...ion-guide.html http://www.savetz.com/booklist/using...sgro ups.html